Last modified: 2014-03-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: associazione marittima di sabioncello | peljesac maritime association | letters: ams (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Associazione Marittima di Sabioncello - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 March 2004
Quoting the Pelješac Info website:
Since the 17th century, boats from Pelješac constituted an important part of the Dubrovnik merchant navy. Shipowner families became even mightier by organizing and investing in co-owned sailing ships. Their rise continued under the government of the Austrian monarchy, especially in the second half of 19th century. A cooperative society for "building (and exploitation) of long-range navigation vessels", later "Maritime Society of Pelješac" was founded in 1865; in 1875. they got equipment for a naval yard in Orebić. The shipyard was formally opened by Emperor Franz-Joseph of Austrian monarchy. It was mostly used for repairing of ships, and during his existence (13 years) it built 3 long range navigation sailing ships.
During its existence, the company built or purchased some 33 large sail ships. With the increase of steam shipping, the company disolved in 1891. More on the society can be read in the book Naši jedrenjaci by Stjepan Vekarić.
Dov Gutterman & Željko Heimer, 8 January 2004
The house flag of Associazione Marittima di Sabioncello, as explained by Mrs. Gordana Tudor, Curator of the Split Maritime Museum, is in the colors of the Croatian tricolor, white a lozenge throughout with red and blue triangles surrounding it and the blakc letters "AMS" embroidered in the middle of the flag, on both sides. There are at least three copies of this flag preserved in the museums of Split, Orebić and Dubrovnik, respectively. The flag is shown on many paintings of the society's ships, for instance the barque Eber (Dubrovnik Maritime Museum, image).
Željko Heimer & Jan Mertens, 8 January 2004