This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gonc (Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen, Hungary)

Gönc város

Last modified: 2015-01-23 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: borsod-abauj-zemplen | gonc |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Zoltan Horvath, 07 January 2015

See also:


Gönc is a town in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county in Northern Hungary, and it is the northern-most town of Hungary. Gönc has been inhabited since the Conquest of Hungary, and it was royal estate and an important market town in the Middle Ages. Between 1570 and 1647, it was the seat of the county of Abaúj county.Although the lands in this region were owned by Magyar landlords, Gönc itself was a crown possession. In the 1200s the court invited German craftsmen to settle at Gönc. After the Treaty of Trianon Hungary lost its northern parts and Gönc became close to the new border, losing its importance in trade. The settlement became town in 2001.
Zoltan Horvath, 07 January 2015

The Flag

Its flag is horizontally divided into red, white and red stripes, and a horizontal white panel placed at hoist, where its coat of arms is placed.
Images of flag: (first two images in gallery)
Zoltan Horvath, 07 January 2015

Coat of Arms

image by Zoltan Horvath, 07 January 2015

The coat of arms is horizontally divided, blue and red. A book, a pen, and a sword depicted on upper part, while a barrel and various fruits are placed on the red field. A blue scroll is placed under the shiled with two dates, establishment of settlement (1219), and when town status granted in 2001. Between the dates, motto reads: 'Murus Urbium Virtus" (Strong Wall of Cities).
Zoltan Horvath, 07 January 2015