Last modified: 2014-04-19 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: komarom | esztergom | kisber |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by István Molnár, 1 December 2000
Kisbér is a town (from 1986) in Komárom-Esztergom County in
Hungary between the Győr ( 40 km to south-east) and
Székesfehérvár (47 km to north-west) cities, between Town of
Pápa (55 km to east) and City of Tatabánya (36 km west) in the
Little Hungarian Plains. The settlement (with the united Ászár
and Hánta villages) has got 7.812 inhabitants (1990 census),
near all of Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Tárkány,
Kerékteleki, Bakonyszombathely, Ácsteszér, Aka,
Bakonysárkány, Vérteskethely and Ete villages.
In 1910 Kisbér was a village in the Gesztes district of Komárom County. Number of inhabitants in 1910: 4.048; 3.945 (97,5%) Hungarian, 45 (1,1%) German, 29 (0,7%) Slovakian and 29 (0,7%) others by mother tongue, 3.164 (78,2%) Roman Catholic, 415 (10,3%) Calvinist, 316 (7,8%) Jew and 153 (3,8%) other by religion.
"According to the findings uncovered here it has been inhabited since the prehistoric age. Today about 8000 inhabitants live here - it is the "capital" of the Bakonyfoothill. It has been a town since 1986. The Rákóczi's Insurrection and the Napoleonic wars played an important role in its history. Its reputation is due to its horsebreed which is famous all over the world. The Battyány family developed here a model-farm. In 1830 they had started the breeding of the English thoroughbred and not much later they established here a military studfarm. Later on this studfarm became a state property. The names of Kincsem, Imperial, Kisbér and other race-horses are known all over the world. The buildings of the studfarm are declares historic monuments, the most interesting among them - because of its size - is the Royal Riding-hall. The neoclassic Battyány manor-house with its protected garden is today a historic building. The altar-pieces the pulpit the furnishings of its Baroqe catholic church - which is today a historic monument as well - are also worth seeing. In front of the Riding-hall the statue of Baron Weckheim, sculpted by János Fadrusz can be found. The historic monuments of Ászár (which belongs to Kisbér) the catholic church built in the style of the age of Louis XVI., a Baroque wine-cellar, a beer-house, and the native house of Mari Jászai (she was the greatest Hungarian tragic actress) built in 1863 - today it is a museum - are also worth visiting. The evangelic church of Hánta (this village is also connected to Kisbér ) built in early neoclassic style, is also a historic monument."
Ratio of the flag: 1:2
István Molnár, 1 December 2000
On 20 October, 2002, a part of the town, Ászár, left Kisbér
and became an independent village again.
Zoltán Turay, 5 January 2005