This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Repcelak (Vas, Hungary)

Répcelak város

Last modified: 2014-04-18 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: vas | repcelak | lion |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Zoltan Horvath, 6 July 2010

See also:


Répcelak is a "large community" ("large village constituting an administrative division in Hungary" - from the vocabulary) in Vas county in the Little Hungarian Plain (47° 24' North, 17°3' East). First it was mentioned as "Lak" in 1268. It was registered as a village. In 1780 the village has got 192 Roman Catholic and 353 Evangelic inhabitants. The first seal is from 1855. In 1930 it has got 1.457 inhabitants. In 1965 the village was devastated by the great flood of the Re'pce and the Re'ba rivers.  (from the Re'pcelak to:rte'nete, 1997)
The name of the village: Répce is the name of the river flowing the village. Lak is a Hungarian word means settlement.
Répcelak is 33 km to Csorna and 40 km to Szombathely on the road and railway between Szombathely and Csorna. The village has got 2,956 inhabitants (only Hungarians; 1990 census). Répcelak is in the Vas County (from the first mention). In the end of the 19th century, Répcelak became community and in 1970 became "large community".
The image is from Répcelak torténete, 1997. Flag adopted on 18 August 1996.
István Molnár, 29 June 2000

Repcelak became a town (város) in 2001.
István Molnár, 4 July 2001

Regulation of flag:
Home page of town:
Zoltan Horvath, 6 July 2010

Coat of Arms

image by István Molnár, 29 June 2000

The Coat of Arms was adopted on 18 August 1996. The Gold Lion in Red is originally the Coat of Arms of the Radó Family, landlords of the village. The blue wavy line symbolise the Repce River and the bubbles from the gold field: the carbon dioxide founded here.
István Molnár, 29 June 2000

Decription of coat of arms and some historical background (in English):
Zoltan Horvath, 6 July 2010