This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cork Harbour Yacht Club, Ireland

Last modified: 2016-06-29 by rob raeside
Keywords: cork harbour yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Cork Harbour Yacht Club

The Water Club of the Harbour of Cork was established in 1720, and by 1759 had become the Cork Harbour Yacht Club. In that year the Lords of the Admiralty granted William, Earl of Inchiquin "a Union flag with the Royal Irish harp and crown on a green field in the centre" for the club. After 1765 there are no records of the club being anything other than a Water Club, presenting prizes for fishermen and rowing-boats at an annual regatta. The Cork Yacht Club was revived in 1828 when Water Club members combined with the Little Monkstown Club which had been established on Haulbowline Island in 1822.
David Prothero, 26 December 2005