Last modified: 2015-06-29 by andrew weeks
Keywords: ramla | iriyat ramla | coat of arms (cogwheel: white) | coat of arms (olive branch: white) | coat of arms (star: white outlined) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman
Coat-of-arms adopted 13th November 1958
Ramla (from the Arabic word Raml (sand)) is
situated in the shore plain near Lod.
It was established in 716 - it is the only city that was first
established during the Moslem era - and has 65,000 inh. Ramla is
the so-called capital of the Central District. Ramla's official
emblem (published in Official Gazette Y.P. 633) is made up of a
cogwheel (industry development as the major component in the
city's economy), an olive branch (symbol of peace and brotherhood
between the inhabitants and a reminder of the olive trees which
were the major component of the economy in the past, Ramla being
a major centre for olive-oil soaps) and a Magen David. The
unofficial flag shows the emblem on an orange field.
Sources: letter from Mr. Shmuel Kolishevski, City Clerk, 26 August 2001 and the municipal website.
Dov Gutterman, 29 August 2001
The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot),
YP 633, 13 November 1958.
Dov Gutterman, 4 September 2001
Municipality of Ramla - As seen at my visit of 6 April 2004,
the flag is orange but the emblem is green and there is no
Dov Gutterman, 7 April 2004
Ramla was established by Suliman Ibn-Abed Ibn-Maliq, the
district governor (and later a Caliph) in order that it will be
the district capital. From that point Ramla had a lot of ups and
down, some as results of wars and some as results of earthquakes
and it was destroyed and rebuilt numerous of times.
Ramla was major Arab base but was taken by the IDF on June 1948 and most of its Arab population fled. Today 18% of the population is Arabs.
The orange flag can be seen at <www.museum-ramla.org.il> and <www.ramla.muni.il>. Emblem appeared on a stamp issued 18 October 1970.
Dov Gutterman, 6 May 2005