Last modified: 2012-12-30 by rob raeside
Keywords: st mary | jersey | channel islands |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 9 May 2010
Flag not confirmed by photographic evidence.
Saint Mary (French: Sainte-Marie, Jèrriais: Ste Mathie) is one of the twelve parishes of Jersey in the Channel Islands. The parish and its eponymous church derive their name from a mediaeval monastery, probably destroyed during Viking raids some time between the 8th and 10th centuries. In 1042 Duke William gave "Saint Mary of the Burnt Monastery" to the abbey of Cerisy.
The lily of the Annunciation or 'Flwur de Lys' has always been regarded as the
special flower of the Virgin Mary. The parish flag shows a silver lily on a blue
Jens Pattke, 9 May 2010