Last modified: 2014-03-30 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: general eo jae-yeon | chinese su: 帥 | chinese wonsu: 元帥 |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 27 October 2007
After 136 years, the rank flag of General Eo Jae-yeon (1823-1871) was returned to the South Korean Cultural Heritage Administration. The flag is on loan from the U.S. Naval Academy Museum, which has had possession. The flag was captured as a war trophy in 1871, when the U.S. Expedition to Korea captured the flag in 1871 when American troops seized Ganghwa Island.
General Eo was the commander of the Gwgangseong Garrison on Gangwa Island in 1971 and was killed in action along with 430 Korean soldiers.
The flag is believed to be made of hemp or cotton and is 4.5 square meters.
It will be on loan to the Korean government for up to 10 years. It bears the lettering in Chinese
that stands for "commanding general." The flag was restored in 1913.
adapted from news reports contributed by Ivan Sache, 27 October 2007
The article in Korea Times
says the flag is "regarded as a rare and crucial military
source called 'sujagi' - the general's flag - which was used in the
field and at the main gate of the barracks at the end of the 19th
Eugene Ipavec, 27 October 2007
The flag bore the Hanja (Chinese ideogram) "su" (帥), which is short for
"wonsu" (元帥), meaning "Field Marshal".
Miles Li, 8 November 2007