Last modified: 2017-11-11 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: miryang | kyongsangnam-do | south korea |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jorge Candeias
From City of Miryang:
Located in southeast Korea on the Korea Strait between Korea and Japan, trade with other cities has been well developed from the beginning of modern times. The steep mountains of Whaak and Gaji are located to the northeast of the city while the southern part of the city, around the Nakdong river and the Miryang river, is low flat land and is the breadbasket of the region. The region has plenty of soft water so the local fiber and textile industry has been well developed. There are many resort areas around the Namcheon river for tourism and the city has abundant natural resources for developing commercial and industrial business. The region has plenty natural fresh water from the Miryang and Nakdong rivers and the fishing industry has been well established here.
Samhan (Mahan, Byeonhan, Jinhan) Era
It is thought that a small tribe called "Mirimidongkuk" lived in Miryang which once belonged to Byeonhan.
Miryang was merged into Silla during the 6th year of King Jijeung's reign (505). Then King Gyeongdeok divided Silla into 9 ju (provinces), changed Miryang's name to "Milsung-gun" and divided "Milsung-gun" into five hyeon (sub districts) during his 16th year of reign (757).
During the 14th year of King Seongjong's reign (995) he divided Koryeo into 10 provinces and Miryang became part of Yeongdong province along with Kyeongju. Its name was also changed to "Milju-gun" and had two gun (districts) - Changnyeong and Cheongdo - and 4 hyeon (sub districts) (Hyeonpung, Gyeoseong, Yeongsan, and Punggak). In the 9th year of King Hyeongjong's reign (1018) it was called "Milseonggunsa". During the first year of King Chungyeol's reign (1275) it was under the control of Gyeorimbu due to Jo Chun's rebellion and then it was raised to the status of "Milseong-hyeon" and later raised again to the status of "Milseong-gun" during his 11th year of reign (1285). King Gongyang raised it once again to the status of "Miryang-bu" during his 2nd year of reign (1390).
During the first year of King Taejo's reign (1392) its status was dropped to "Milsung-gun" and its name was returned to "Milseong-bu" in his 3rd year of reign (1394). In the 15th year of King Taejong's reign (1415), King Taejong had all the regions with more than 1,000 houses be called "dohobu" and Miryang became "Miryang dohobu" Then in the 32nd year of King Gojong's reign (1895) Korea had been reformed into 36 gun and Miryang was now called "Daegu-bu Miryang-gun". And a year later (1896) its name was changed to "Gyeongsangnam-province Miryang-gun".
On Sep. 30, 1910 Korea now called Joseon was governed by Japan who ordered all administrative districts be named myeon. Thus, on Oct. 1, 1910 Miryang's name was changed into "Miryang-gun Miryang-myeon". On March 1, 1914 Miryang was divided into 12 myeon. On April 1, 1931 Miryang-myeon, Daejeon, Suncheon, and Andong were merged and the areas status was raised to that of "Miryang-eup".
Samrangjin-myeon was raised to the status of "Samrangjin-eup" by law and ordinance #1177. on Jan. 1, 1963. An official office named Imcheon was established in Imcheon-ri on July 15, 1966 by act of gun #103. Hanam-myeon was raised to the status of "Hanam-eup" by presidential law and ordinance #103 on July 1, 1973. Miryang-eup was raised to the status of Miryang city by law #4050 and the region was divided into two parts: Miryang city (having 6 dong, 28tong, and 316 ban) and Miryang-gun (having two eup and 9 myeon) on Jan. 1, 1989. Miryang-gun became part of Miryang city on Jan. 1, 1995 and formed two eup, 9 myeon, and 5 dong. Since Hangjeong-dong and Yongwhal-dong had less than 5,000 people they were merged together and called Naeil-dong by local law #4 and ordinance #5 on Sep. 21, 1998.
The mark inside the circle symbolizes the first letter of the name of the city, "Mil" in Korean, and the progressive spirit and the harmonization of all citizens. The outer circle symbolizes the last letter of the name of the city "Yang" in Korean and the continuous development of the city.
The blue color in the bottom symbolizes a clean city, hope, and peace. The white color symbolizes simplicity, diligency, and integrity.