This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Veliuona (Taurage, Lithuania)

Last modified: 2014-04-27 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: jurbarkas | taurage | veliuona | carp |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Virginijus Misiunas, 15 February 2010

See also:


Veliuona (Jurbarkas District) - on a blue field a golden carp with silver wolf fangs and red fins. Flag proportions 5:6, free edges bordered with a red stripe and an inner narrow silver stripe, finial is a silver knob with a ring. The charge of arms appeared in the 16th century, though the story of its appearance is not complete: the Grand Duke Alexander II granted the city rights to Veliuona between 1502 and 1506. Neither the exact year nor arms are known, because the document of privilege is lost. The King Stephen Batory confirmed those rights in 1580, when the arms were mentioned for the first time. The carp symbolizes the Nemunas River, and wolf fangs come from the arms of the Batory family. The exact origin of the carp is unclear: either it was granted first in 1502-1506 and got fangs in 1580, or they appeared together in 1580. In 1776 the city rights were lost, and in 1791 re-granted together with arms (therefore the early researchers considered the arms granted in 1791).
Virginijus Misiunas, 15 February 2010