This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Schengen (Municipality, Luxembourg)

Last modified: 2016-02-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: schengen | wellenstein |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Schengen - Image by Zoltán Horváth, 22 May 2015

See also:

Presentation of Schengen

The municipality of Schengen (4,313 inhabitants in 2014; 3,142 ha; municipal website) was established in 2011 as the merger of the former municipalities of Schengen, Burmerange and Wellenstein (history).
The village of Shengen is located near the tripoint where the borders of Germany, France, and Luxembourg meet. The largest settlement within the commune of Schengen is Remerschen after which the commune used to be named. The name of the commune was changed in 2006 to take advantage of the Schengen's name recognition after the signing of the Schengen Agreement (text) there in 1985.

Esteban Rivera, 21 May 2015

Flag of Schengen

The flag of Schengen (photo, photo, photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle and the place's name written beneath in black capital letters.

Esteban Rivera, 21 May 2015

Former municipality of Wellenstein

[Flag of Wellenstein]

Flag of Wellenstein - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 21 March 2007, after a photo kindly provided by the municipal administration of Wellenstein

Wellenstein is located in the valley of Mosel, which forms the border with Germany. It is made of the three traditional wine-growing villages of Bech-Kleinmacher (543 inhabitants), Schwebsingen (295 inh.) and Wellenstein (477 inh.).

Wellenstein has preserved its original design of a typical wine-growing village, with a central square planted with shadow trees, coloured houses and arcades from the 16th century.
The Wellenstein vinyard is part ofDomaines de Vinsmoselle (website), which group the Luxembourgian vinyards of the valley of Mosel. The Wellenstein Wine-growers' Cellar, founded in 1930, produces every year 3.5 million liters of wine. The area of the vineyard is 230.2 ha.
Bech-Kleinmacher is the birth village of the painters Nico Klopp and Jos Sünnen. The two old wine-grower's houses, A Possen (built as Possenhaus in 1617 by the family Post, who owned it until 1965) and Muedelshaus, were transformed in 1972 into a museum (website), now encompasing seven buildings from the 17th-18th century century.
Schwebsingen has the single river port for leasure sport in the Luxemburgian Mosel, increased in 1999 with eight pontoons and 250 mooring slots. On the first Sunday of September, the village celebrates the Wine Festival, during which wine flows freely from the Wine Fountain (aka the Grapes' Children Fountain).

The flag of Wellenstein is white with the village's coat of arms in the middle.
The arms of Wellenstein, proposed by the State Heraldry Commission and approved on 19 Decemberby the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 February 1985 by the Executive and published on 7 March 1985 in the official gazette of Luxembourg, No. 15.
The arms are described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per fess wavy, 1. Azure a three-leaved twirled grapevine bough or, 2. Barruly wavy argent and azure a lion gules armed and langued or the tail forked in saltire.

In the early medieval ages, the territory of today's Wellenstein belonged to the Court of Remich and was therefore placed under the direct authority of the Counts of Luxembourg. Wenceslas made of the Court a Provostship; the seals from that time show the Count's arms. The municipal arms of Wellenstein, designed by Marcel Lenertz, a member of the State Heraldry Commission, recall the history, the geography and the economy of the villages. The grapevine bough recalls wine-growing, whereas the three leaves symbolize the three villages of Bech-Kleinmacher, Schwebsingen and Wellenstein. The point of the shield recalls the Count's arms; the barrulets are made wavy to symbolize the Mosel.
[Former municipal website]

Wine was already produced in the valley of Mosel in the Gallo-Roman times. Wine-growing and trading allowed the emergence of wealthy lineage whose funerary mausoleums have been excavated in several places of the region. These mausoleums, built on hillsides, have two floors; the lower floor, mostly buried, is the true funerary room, decorated with frescos, whereas the second floor is made of a smaller funerary monument with the same rectangular shape.
The Bech-Kleinmacher mausoleum was found in 1950 on the place named Frieteschwengert; it was completely excavated in 1987-1988 and recently rebuilt. The funerary room is 6.10 x 4.30 m in size, with a 7.60 m long underground corridor with several steps. The monument, built in the beginning of the 4th century, was partially destroyed during the invasions of the 5th century and was reused by the Franks in the late 7th - early 8th century. The exact use of the building by the Franks is still unknown. The excavations made in 1987-1988 have yielded hundreds of late Merovingian pottery and two very unusual coins from the 680-720 period, includig a sceat of Anglo-Saxon or Friesian origin.

Ivan Sache, 21 March 2007