Last modified: 2013-06-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: rowing club | yacht club | star (white) | letters: ycm (black) | letters: ycm (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Burgee of SNM - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 May 2010
The Société des Régates de Monaco was founded in 1888 by Louis Adjani, Honoré Bellando, Adolphe Blanchy, Henri and Jean Crovetto, Albert De Millo, Ambroise Delpiano, Victor Lefranc, Jean and Joseph Marquet, Louis Neri and Jean Vatrican. The first rowing and sailing
regatta ever organized in the Monaco Bay took place on 17 March 1889.
On 19 May 1953, the club split into the Société Nautique de Monaco (SNM), in charge of rowing, and the Yacht Club de Monaco (YCM), in charge of yachting.
With some 200 members of many different nationalities, the SNM, affiliated with the French Rowing Federation (FFSA), is also in charge of the Monegasque
Rowing Federation, founded in 1993. Accordingly, the SNM members of
French or Monegasque nationality can compete in the French
championships, while those of Monegasque nationality can also compete
in internaional events under the Monegasque flag. In the Beijing
Olympic Games (2008), the skiffer Mathias Raymond, standard-bearer
during the opening ceremony, finished 22nd - incidentally, he rank 8th
in the Sexiest Competitor's Contest.
The rowers of the SNM train on sea, between Port Hercule - Monaco's main port - and the Bay of Roquebrune - located east of Monaco, in the French territorial waters. They also row on Lake Saint-Cassien (Provence), at the training base of Montauroux. SNM has closed links with the local French and Italian rowing clubs; a main event in the rowing season is the sea rowing race San Remo-Monaco.
The burgee of the SNM, hoisted over the club house located on the northern side of Port Hercule, is made of nine horizontal stripes, in turn
white and red, the stripes # 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 being twice higher than
the other ones. A white star is placed in the middle of the central,
A photo taken during the San Remo-Monaco race, available on the SNM website, shows the burgee hoisted on a boat.
Ivan Sache, 9 May 2010
Burgee of YCM, with black (left) or red (right) letters - Images by Ivan Sache, 10 May 2010
On 19 May 1953, the Société des Régates de Monaco, founded in 1988, split into the Société Nautique de Monaco (SNM), in charge of rowing, and the Yacht Club de Monaco (YCM), in charge of yachting.
The home of big sailing and motor boats, the YCM organizes famous races such as the Primo Cup, the Monaco-New York transatlantic race and the Grand Prix de Formule 40'. Fond of historic yachts, Prince Albert II created in 1994 the Monaco Classic Week and purchased the next year the Tuiga, a cotter built in 1909 in Scotland for Duke of Medinaceli and considered by Éric Tabarly as "one of the ten most beautiful yachts in the world", today the flagship of YCM.
The burgee of YCM is vertically divided, at hoist white with a simplified version of the Monegasque coat of arms surrounded by the letters "Y" (top left), "C" (top right) and "M" (bottom), either black ar red, and at hoist red with two white triangular stripes; the two main fields are separated by a red fimbriation.
Ivan Sache, 10 May 2010