This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

House Flags of Malaysian Shipping Companies

Last modified: 2011-06-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: malaysia | house flag |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:


Eastern Shipping Co.

[Eastern Shipping Company] image by Ivan Sache, 3 April 2008

Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of "Eastern Shipping Co., Ltd. (#163, p. 44), as horizontally divided red-white-red. The Eastern Shipping Co. of Penang was formed in 1907. The famous Chinese family from Penang Khaw had interests in the company, which they sold, together with the 40 sailing vessels of the company, to the Straits Steamship Company in 1922/23. The Eastern Shipping Company is today a subsidiary of the Sarawak Steamship Co.
Ivan Sache, 3 April 2008


Malaysia Shipping Corporation Sendirian Berhad

[Malaysia Shipping Corporation (Malaysia)] image by Ian MacDonald, 28 August 2006

Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd. as it was renamed 3.6.1971 having been formed in 1967, has used the same flag format for some of its subsidiaries/joint ventures by changing the lettering. Thus MSC is for the Malaysia Shipping Corporation Sendirian Berhad of Kuala Lampur.
Neale Rosanoski, 23 January 2006


Malaysian International Shipping Corporation

[Malaysian International Shipping Corporation (Malaysia)] image by Jorge Candeias

Flag at the CRRM server, look also the logo at the MISC Official Website.
Dov Gutterman
, 13 February 1999

[Malaysian International Shipping Corporation (Malaysia)] image by Ian MacDonald, 22 August 2006

Brown 1982 and 1995 show a flag of the sinister half only, i.e. 5 horizontal bands of blue-red-white-red-blue with the golden star of 14 points overall. In 1995 the name was changed to Malaysia International Shipping Corporation Berhad.
Neale Rosanoski, 29 January 2005


Sarawak Steamship Co.

[Sarawak Steamship Co. (Malaysia)] image by Jarig Bakker

Sarawak Steamship Co. operated under Straits Steamship Company of Singapore in the 1950s. They had several vessels including The Rajah Brooke.
John Bax, 24 January 2002

Located at this webpage.
Jarig Bakker, 24 January 2002

The link provided by Jarig no longer works but the descendent company of Sarawak Steamship Co. Berhad located on http://www.sarawaksteamship.com/ shows a flag logo reversing the direction of the bands. That the version shown here as a house flag is correct is confirmed albeit by a B&W photo of the vessel "Auby" appearing on www.merchantnavyofficers.com/straits4.html (30/1/2005) giving a history of the Straits Steamship Co. Ltd. which apparently became their owners by the end of the 1930s. It appears that their ship-owning came to end following the takeover of Straits Steamship by the Keppel Group in 1983 and the current company is involved in travel and tours, creative advertising, gallery and air cargo services.
Neale Rosanoski, 29 January 2005


Straits Steamship Co. Ltd.

[Straits Steamship Co. Ltd. (Malaysia)]

Straits Steamship Co. Ltd.: Stewart 1959, no. 230.
Al Fisher, 5 February 1999


The Borneo Company

[The Borneo Company] image by Ivan Sache, 3 April 2008

Quoting Joshua Chia Yeong Jia, National Library Board Singapore:
"The Borneo Company Limited was formed in 1856 to exploit the business opportunities in Borneo (Sarawak). It was also active in other parts of Asia. The company was unique among the early British trading houses for being associated with large-scale motor vehicle trade, ever since the introduction of the motorcar into the region.

Background
In 1841, James Brooke, popularly known as the White Rajah, was granted the authority over the region of Sarawak by the Sultan of Brunei for his help in protecting the local ruler of Sarawak against raiding tribes. In 1847, Brooke was appointed consul general to the island of Borneo. To facilitate trade between Sarawak and Britain, Brooke enlisted the services of Ludwig Helms, a Danish merchant who was operating out of Singapore. Helms' business in Singapore linked him to a Glasgow-based merchant house of MacEwen & Co. which had branches in Singapore, Batavia and Manila. In 1849, the MacEwen's operations in Singapore was ran by John Harvey. MacEwen's office in Singapore became Brooke's agent while Helms managed Brooke's business in Sarawak. MacEwen & Co. was a family-based operation and evolved from an earlier trading firm, W. R. Paterson and Co., founded in 1842. In 1849, when Paterson retired, the company became MacEwen & Co.

Founding
The Borneo Company Limited (BCL) was founded on 8 May 1856 in London as a joint stock, limited liability company, to exploit the business opportunities in Sarawak. John Harvey became one of its board members and managing director in London. With the formation of BCL in London, MacEwen & Co. in Singapore was dissolved and its properties including the wharves at Telok Blangah were transferred to BCL. In Singapore, the Borneo Company was established on 31 July 1857, and became a member of the Singapore Chamber of Commerce in 1860. MacEwen & Co.'s branches in Batavia and Siam were formally transferred to BCL in 1857. The firm also established branches in Sarawak, China, India, Hong Kong, Thailand and Java, with Singapore as the centre of BCL's network in the Far East.

Nature of Business
Up to World War I, BCL in Singapore was involved in the import and export business including the formation of a shipping cartel.
[...]"

Source: http://infopedia.nlb.gov.sg/articles/SIP_1248_2007-07-02.html.

Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of "The Borneo Company" (#155, p. 44), based in London, as white with a cross half blue (left part) and half red (right part). The design of the cross is very similar, probably not coincidentally, with the design of the cross used on the old flag of Sarawak.
Ivan Sache, 3 April 2008