This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Vila do Ibo (Mozambique)

Historical local flag

Last modified: 2016-07-02 by bruce berry
Keywords: vila do ibo | mozambique |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Jens Pattke, 04 May 2016 See also:


Vila do Ibo is the capital of Ibo District in Cabo Delgado province in northern Mozambique. The town is located on Ibo Island.   Ibo is one of the Quirimbas Islands in the Indian Ocean.  The town grew as a Muslim trading port. Vasco da Gama reportedly rested on the island in 1502. The island was fortified in 1609 by the Portuguese.

In the late eighteenth century, Portuguese colonialists built the Fort of  So Joo, which still survives, and the town, as a slave port.  It became the second most important in the region after Mozambique Island. The island is
now a far quieter place, known for its silversmiths.
Jens Pattke, 04 May 2016

Vila do Ibo flag (to 1975)

The colonial-era municipal flag of Vila do Ibo was a typical Portuguese municipal flag design with the municipal coat of arms centered on a white and red quartered background.

The coat of arms shows the figures of the Fort of So Joo Batista do Ibo and Saint John.
Jens Pattke, 04 May 2016