This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lagos Colony (1862 - 1906) Nigeria

Historical flag

Last modified: 2014-07-05 by bruce berry
Keywords: lagos | elephant | palm | blue ensign | nigeria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Martin Grieve, 18 Aug 2011

See also:


Lagos Colony was  a British colonial possession centered around the port of Lagos in what is now southern Nigeria.  It was annexed on 06 August 1861 and declared a colony on 05 March 1862.  The colony established a protectorate over most of Yorubaland between 1890 and 1897.  The colony and protectorate were incorporated into Southern Nigeria in February 1906 and Lagos became the capital of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria in January 1914

Lagos Colony ensign (1886 - 1906)

[Lagos Badge Detail-1906] image by Martin Grieve, 18 Aug 2011

The Lagos Colony flew a British blue ensign defaced with the badge of the colony in the fly.  This badge was the same as that used by the Gambia, the Gold Coast and Sierra Leone, with the exception of a red 'L' for Lagos below the elephant.  The ensign was used between 1886 and 1906.
David Prothero, 02 Feb 2001

Governor's Flag

image by Martin Grieve, 18 Aug 2011

The Governor's flag followed the traditional pattern and was a British Union Flag defaced in the centre with the badge of the colony within a laurel garland.
Martin Grieve. 18 Aug 2011