This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Marknesse (The Netherlands)

Noordoostpolder, Flevoland province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: marknesse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Marknesse village] image by Jarig Bakker, 2 Mar 2006
adopted 1983 See also:

Marknesse village

Marknesse is a village in the Noordoostpolder in Flevoland province. There is an image and description of its village flag in Anton Jansen's magazine "Vlaggen",
no. 91 (1996): 1291

The village flag consists of a blue topstripe and a white bottom stripe, separated by a narrower black centerstripe. In the center of the flag is the village arms: heraldic right in chief white, in base blue with wavy black stripes; in center a standing spade with silver-colored blade; on top of the blue waves is a bird of metallic color flying towards the center; heraldic left issuing from a green base three corn-ears. The top of the black stripe is provided with three grey cords (of unknown meaning).

The coat of arms has a curious background. Nearly since it was bought by the villagers (c. 1959) it was completely forgotten. In January 2006 the village of Biddinghuizen (Dronten municipality, also in Flevoland) inaugurated its new flag, with the village arms in center. This was nearly a replica of the Marknesse arms. Produced by the same designer, Bert de Klerk. It appeared that most villages had bought the same arms (and they were forgotten as well!). The Marknessers were furious: "Our flag was stolen!", they fumed. With reeks and hayforks they drove to Biddinghuizen, where they were welcomed with Beerenburg and Heineken (weak alcoholic beverages), and all had a jolly good evening. It was agreed that the Biddinghuizers would make a new flag. Apparently the Marknessers promised to put their arms on the internet, f.i. here.

The Marknesser wrath is understandable: when the Noordoostpolder was developed in c. 1940 the "polderjongens" were housed in a camp on the soil of what would become the new village.
However in 1952 a pupil of a school in Zwolle was so full of admiration that he or she made a quite sensible image for the new village, see this webpage:
gold over blue separated by a wavy line; a yellow corn ear and an orange beetroot reaching from base to chief; surmounted by a village crown.
Jarig Bakker, 2 Mar 2006


Marknesse village Coat of Arms

[Marknesse Coat of Arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 2 Mar 2006
adopted 1959