Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: oldeberkoop |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Oldeberkoop was first mentioned in 1228 when Frisian warriors prepared
themselves in "Brocope" to invade Drenthe. The name is derived from
"broek" (wet grassland) and "ope"(water. It ortiginated c.
900 years ago on the sandy ridges between the small rivers Linde and Tjonger.
Along these rivers were areas which were flooded most of the year. Oldeberkoop
was from 1912 till 1955 the municipal seat. The most important family was
The village has 1600 inhabitants, and the center is doubtless the goat "Snoesje" (darling), offered as a statue by the New Year's Eve society "De Geitefok". In the 80-years war against the Spaniards there was a fortification "Bekhofschans", which played a major rôle in the Frisian defense against the Spaniards.
Nickname: "stobbeskiters" people who washed their hands behind or on treestumps.
Jarig Bakker, 8 Oct 2006