This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Blauwhuis (The Netherlands)
Wymbritseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: blauwhuis |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 23 Sep 2003
Blauwhuis village (Blauhûs)
Blauwhuis (Frisian: Blauh?s, meaning Blue House) is a village in Wymbritseradiel
municipality, Fryslân province, with (1958) 543; (1974) 502 inhabitants.
It is named after the formerly quite rare blue tiled roofs. Until 1949
it was a hamlet under the village of Westhem. It is a Roman Catholic enclave
in a predominantly protestant environment, totally dominated by the home
for the elderly "St. Theresia". (a huge concrete building surrounded by
tiny houses). In the polder-house of the Sensmeer (made dry 1632) a priest
settled himself in 1651. The village is now world-famous in Fryslân
by the "Blauhúster Dakkapel", which produces a helluvalotofnoise
during speed skating matches and matches of the soccerclub Heerenveen, armed
with one (or two) bottles of Sonnema Beerenburg (for medicinal purposes).
Nickname: "Blaumiggen" (blue midges), derived from the place name,
referring to insects thriving on dung heaps and carrion; in Fryslân
also used to honor the strong arm of the law, aka "plysjes".
Blauwhuis coat of arms: per fess blue and silver; a. in blue a golden fishing boat
fully rigged; b. in silver three red water lily leaves, placed 2-1.
Flag: Two equally wide horizontal stripes of blue and white, with in
blue towards the hoist a yellow fishing boat fully rigged; in white towards
the hoist a red water lily leaf, each with 7/16 flag height.
The village itself requested a flag and coat of arms for the village; designs
were put forward to the Fryske Rie foar Heraldyk, which approved of it,
and embellished a design to make it heraldically correct.
The village-arms are based on the main colors of the coat of arms of Westergo,
blue and silver; on the blue part a ship was placed , as used by the sweet-water fishers
in the lake nearby. In silver three red water lily leaves (pompebledden)
were placed representing the typical Frisian character of this cheerful
village with its renowned "Dakkapel".
The village flag is based on the village-coat of arms, again based on the Westergo-colors
(which can also be found on all municipal wimpels within this former shire).
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1989.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Sep 2003
Blauwhuis coat of arms
from Ralf Hartemink's site.