This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Garyp (The Netherlands)

Boarnsterhim municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: garyp |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Garyp flag] Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 22 Nov 1984; design: P. Bultsma

See also:

Garyp village (Garijp)

Flagdescription: fiif hichtebanen fan grien, wyt, read, wyt, grien, yn 'e ferhâlding 2:1:2:1:2
That is: five horizontal stripes of green, white, red, white and green, proportioned 2:1:2:1:2.
The name of the village is derived from "gea", meaning village or village-area, and "ryp", which signifies a territory. The village is on the edge of forest and water. Green symbolizes the forest, red the red buildings of the village, while the white stripes signify water. Behind choir in the church of Garyp is a big rock  from the Ice-Age, which is probably the seat on which the village judge administered law. The golden lozenges stmbolize law. The Frisian families of Walta and Aggema have them too on their arms. The cross in base of the village-arms remind of the Sinaï monastery, in the neighbourhood of Sigerswâld under Garyp, founded in 1482 by Regularisses (Augustine nuns), which existed until 1580. The division of the arms was the base for the flag.
Source: Doarpswapens en doarpsflaggen fan de doarpen yn de gemeente Tytsjerksteradiel, 1996.
Jarig Bakker, 6 May 2004

Garyp Coat of Arms

[Garyp Coat of Arms]by Jarig Bakker, 6 May 2004
adopted 22 Nov 1984; design: P. Bultsma

Description: in green a red pale between two narrowed silver pales; in chief three golden lozenges on each of the pales (green, red, green) one; in base a broad-armed cross, the arms reaching the silver pales.
Source: Doarpswapens en doarpsflaggen fan de doarpen yn de gemeente Tytsjerksteradiel, 1996.
Jarig Bakker, 6 May 2004