This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Gendringen (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: gendringen |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 27 April 1960
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 20.935; area: 65,30 km². Settlements:
Gendringen (seat), Breedenbroek, Etten, Megchelen, Netterden, Sinderen
(ged), Ulft, Varsselder, Voorst.
Gendringen is an old medieval town in southeast Gelderland at the German
border. Just over the border was the castle of the princes of Salm-Salm.
The flag was adopted 27 April 1960 and has been derived from the municipal
Coat of Arms. On the Coat of Arms are a gander (local name: 'gent') and three rings
('ringen'), canting arms. The rings have been retained on the flag.
According to a local legend ganders were originally allowed to graze here
and they were ringed as a token of ownership. On that place the town was
Jarig Bakker, 24 September 1999
Gendringen Coat of Arms
image from the Gendringen municipal
Granted 30 Dec 1929