This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Oldekerk (The Netherlands)

Former municipality, Grootegast, Groningen province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: oldekerk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Oldekerk flag] Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 27 Mar 1967; in use 1967-1990.

See also:

Oldekerk former municipality

Oldekerk seceded from Grootegast municipality in 1811, but got its arms only on 9 October 1930. It consisted of the villages Oldeker (seat), Niekerk and Faan. Its flag was designed by Mr. Bontekoe, adopted 27 March 1967.
In 1990 Oldekerk merged with Grootegast to become the new municipality of Grootegast.

Niekerk, Oldekerk and Faan

[Niekerk, Oldekerk and Faan flag] image by Stefan Lambrechts, 6 Apr 2008
adopted 27 Mar 1967; in use 1967-1990.

Reported on the Benevex-list by Stefan Lambrechts: the flag of the villages Niekerk, Oldekerk and Faan, in the municipality of Grootegast, Groningen province, as presented at this site.

Flagdescription: three equally wide horizontal stripes red, blue, yellow; in center the arms of the former municipality of Oldekerk.
Arms: per fess a) or a church gules; b) per pale azure an eagle or armed gules; argent a cross issuant with two footstools (schamel) all gules in base a mound sable. The shield surmounted by a crown or of two leaves and two pearls.

The church is thought to be the old church of Oldekerk, which existed until the first quarter of the 17th century.
The eagle represents the old family Aldringa, of old living in the Aldringaheerd in Niekerk.
The cross and footstools &c are from the arms of the Millingha-family, living in Faan.

Oldekerk seceded from Grootegast in 1811, but got its arms only on 9 October 1930. In 1990 the municipality reverted to Grootegast.
See also Ralf Hartemink's site.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2008