This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Eygelshoven (The Netherlands)

Kerkrade municipality, Limburg province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: eygelshoven |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Eygelshoven old flag] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Apr 2005
adopted 12 Jun 1962

See also:

Eygelshoven former municipality

Eygelshoven is a former municipality in Limburg province, absorbed in 1982 by Kerkrade and nearly on the German border opposite 's-Hertogenrade.
Flags: three horizontal stripes of blue, yellow and black; over all a hoist-diagonal stripe chequy of rod and white.
adopted 12 Jun 1962 by municipal resolution.

Arms: tierced pallwise reversed; dexter: or a lion noir armed gules; sinister: per fess azure and or, over all a checquy bend gules and argent; in base argent a coal pick-axe and a coal-hammer in saltire, all noir. The shield surmounted by a crown or of three leaves and two pearls.
Granted 15 Jan 1931 by Royal Resolution.

The left part is formed by the arms of the first Lords of Eygelshoven; mining is symbolized by pick-axe and hammer.
Eygelshoven is at the point where the Strijthagerbeek and the Anselderbeek flow into the Worm river. It  was a mining center with two mines: the Laura and the Julia; the Laura-mine started production in 1900, the Julia in 1929. After they were closed in the 1960's they have not left many traces. The municipal council therefore had plenty of time for "gevreigel" - disputes, e.g. about demolishing a high appartment building because of minor faulty conditions: "What? are you accusing my brother-in-law of sloppy work? He is a prince among builders!" (etc.)
The building was demolished eventually, leaving only neat low houses - a bit dull, though...

Nickname: "Vòttekletsjer" - when they see the back of a woman they pinch the b***.

Source: Derkwillem Visser's "Gemeentevlaggen en Wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden", 2001.
Limburg in vogelvlucht, n.d. (c. 1970).
Groot Schimpnamenboek van Nederland, by Dirk van der Heide, 1998.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Apr 2005


Eygelshoven Coat of Arms

[Eygelshoven Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Apr 2005
Granted 15 Jan 1931