Last modified: 2012-05-02 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: la tinguiña | ica |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The District municipality of La Tinguiña (9,834 ha), created on 28 December
1961 (Law No. 13791), is part of the Ica Province, Ica Region, south-central
Peru. The name of the district comes from the ancient Quechau word "Tinkina",
meaning "trails' crossing", recalling that the site was the place of exchanges
between the coastal and mountainous native peoples.
The flag of La Tinguiña is shown graphically on the municipal website as vertically divided yellow-white-green with a coat of arms in the middle. That coat of arms is not the municipal coat of arms shown on the same page.
The coat of arms shown on the flag of La Tinguiña, surrounded by two green branches, is divided into four "landscaped" quarters. The chief shows a mountain range lit by the sun. The upper left quarter shows on a blue background a bottle of red wine and a bottle of pisco. The upper right quarter shows on a white background a potato, a grape and a cotton boll. The base shows a blue river surrounded by baren brown soil.
The municipal coat of arms could be a "modernization" of this design, not implemented yet on the flag. The shield keeps the same divisions but the background is green for all quarters. The chief shows a rising sun. The upper left quarter shows the El Fraile mountain range. The upper right quarter shows a grape, a cask and a cork, symbolizing the main source of income in the municipality. The base shows river Achirana del Inca lined by trees. The shield is surmonted by the patron saint, Our Lady of the Snows, whose statue was brought from Spain in 1776 and kept in a chapel, today the parish church.
Ivan Sache, 056 June 2010