This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Laredo (La Libertad, Peru)

District Municipality

Last modified: 2017-09-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: trujillo | laredo | la libertad | peru |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



Trujillo flag
image by Ivan Sache, 22 March 2015


See also:

Overview

The district municipality of Laredo (33,635 inhabitants in 2007; 33,544 ha) is located in the Santa Catalina valley, in the south-east of the Trujillo Province, east of the town of Trujillo. The municipality is made of the town of Laredo and of the rural settlements of La Merced, Barraza, Santo Domingo, Galindo, San Carlos, Cerro Blanco, Quirihuac, Bello Horizonte, Santa Rosa, Las Cocas, Jésus María, Menocucho and Conache.
Laredo was established in a place known in the 16th century as "the land and mill of Ines de Ayala". The place was renamed in the 18th century San Nicolás del Paso, the mill being placed under the protection of St. Nicholas of Tolentino (c. 1245-1305; canonized on 5 June 1446 by Pope Eugene IV).
Gaspar Antonio Remírez y Laredo, Mayor of Trujillo, acquired the San Nicolás estate in the beginning of the 19th century. He was allowed on 14 August 1813 by the Royal authorities to plant sugarcane on his estate and to develop sugar production, which was manned by slavery. This emerging industry boosted the development of a settlement, named Laredo for the owner of the estate. Established on 9 December 1878, the original settlement was made of the boroughs of Laredo and La Merced. The Laredo district was established by Law no. 13,792 of 28 December 1961. Laredo was granted the title of "ciudad" by Law No. 25,253 of 19 June 1990.
Source: http://www.munilaredo.gob.pe/ - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 22 March 2015


The Flag

The symbols of Laredo are prescribed by Resolution No. 3 of 19 June 1990. The symbols were presented on 9 December 1978 by the Committee of the First Centenary of the Villages of Laredo and La Merced, presided by Roberto Meza.
The flag, designed by Marco Antonio Malabrigo Clara Meza Finochetti,  is horizontally divided (prescribed, 8:1:1; in the cloth, 8:0.5:0.5) light green-yellow-vermillion (bright) red. In the middle of the green stripe is placed a green disk "of 10 thumb in diameter" [charged with the municipal coat of arms].
Green is a symbol of aspiration to a prosperous future based on production and services. Yellow is a symbol of the immense force and power of the spiritual resources and their material manifestations.Red is a symbol of the incommensurable love and heroism of the inhabitants who offered their life for the defence of freedom, democracy and human rights. White is a symbol of the nobleness of the spiritual resources of the inhabitants.

The coat of arms of Laredo is bordered by a yellow outline symbolizing the resources of the local land. It was designed to represent the pre-Hispanic past, the Republican present, and the future of the municipality. The shield is surmounted by an orange rising sun. The upper part of the shield features in the middle the church dedicated to Jesus and Mary, symbolizing the Catholic faith shared by 90% of the inhabitants of the town. The mountain peak on the left symbolizes the demographic rising of Laredo. The church is flanked on the right by two terracotta vases belonging to the Eupisnique culture, excavated from the Dacha de los Reyes in the archeological site of Caballo Muerto (Galindo).In the middle of the shield, a blue cog wheel with steel blue cogs represents industry, while a maize cob represents the independent smallholders. The open book represents education and culture; it is charged with a pair of scales representing the proper balance of social justice. The lower right quarter features a terracotta frieze featuring human beings and wild felines. The shield is wrapped in base by a gray chain, representing the human rights and integral freedom. The shield is supported dexter by a red-white-red scroll representing
the republic and sinister by a sugarcane, the main crop in the district.
Sources: http://www.munilaredo.gob.pe/pag_sim.php - Municipal website
http://laredoperu.blogspot.fr/2008/10/los-simbolos-de-laredo.html - Laredo blog
Ivan Sache, 22 March 2015