This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brzeg Dolny district (Poland)

Wołów county, Dolnośląskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: brzeg dolny |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Brzeg Dolny district flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 28 Mar 2008, after this site.
abolished after 1945, readopted 2 Jun 1993 See also:

Brzeg Dolny district flag

In Brzeg Dolny, nothwest of Wrocław, in Wołów county, the relationship between coat of arms and flag is a very interesting one. It is a heraldic banner. If you look closer at the coat of arms, you can see that the knight on the coat of arms bears the same arms as those represented on the flag.
The history of coat of arms (as that of the city) is not very old. The city was founded in 1660 by Georg Abraham von Dyhrn, a German noble. He applied to emperor Leopold II for the privilege of city location. This was granted by the emperor in his capacity of Czech king on August 25th 1662. The city was given the name of Dyhernfurth ("Dyhrn's Ford") and the coat of arms, almost exactly the same it has now.

Description of the flag:
The flag has background gules, divided by a diagonal belt argent. On the belt, three roses gules. The flag is base on the arme of Georg von Dyhrn, founder of the city.
The flag and coat of arms were abolished probably somewhere after 1945. They were readopted by a resolution of the City Council from 2 June 1993.
Bartek Kachniarz, 2 Oct 2000.


Brzeg Dolny district Coat of Arms

[Brzeg Dolny district Coat of Arms] image from this site.

Description of the Coat of Arms:
The main feature is St. George, the patron saint of Georg von Dyhrn, in armour argent, with seven feathers sable on the helmet, hitting a dragon gules with his pike. The background is local landscape: meadow vert, river azure, forest vert and skies azure.
Secondary feature is boat or. The knight bears arms of Georg von Dyhrn.
Bartek Kachniarz, 2 Oct 2000.