Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: klodzko |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Kladsko / Kłodzko/Glatz/ Glacium, Glazensis
Historical territory in southern Poland, on Czech boundaries (between Bohemia, partially Moravia and Czech Silezia). Area ca. 1600 square kilometres.
From 10th century part of Czech State of the Premyslides (Duke Boleslav II Pobozný/The Pious). In 11th century this area was an administrative borough of the Kladsko Castle ("hradský správní obvod" - perhaps Royal Borough?). In 1093 given as a fief to Piast Family, then for some time ruled by Dukes of Opole. During rule of the King Premysl Otakar II. (of Bohemia) western part of Kladsko Territory joined Bohemia (today northern part of Náchod district with Broumov Town*-) and the rest was colonised by German settlers. Kladsko had special statute - its nobility wasn't part of Bohemian noble community, but it was subject to Kladsko Castle (to local burgrave / in Czech purkrabí, in German Burggraf). From 1278 ruled by Dukes of Wróclaw (Vratislav/Breslau), 1290 by Dukes of Swidnica (Svídnice/Schweidnitz), 1301 by Dukes of Minstrberk (Münsterberg, today Ziebice, Poland). Duke Boleslav II of Minsterberk sold Kladsko back to Kingdom of Bohemia.
In 1454 this territory was acquired by George of Podebrady, elected
King of Bohemia and gave it to his sons. They were born before his royal
election, that's why they were not entitled to inherit the throne. King
made them Dukes of Minstrberk (Minstrberk Branch of Piasts was extinct)
and Kladsko was in 1462 made County (Hrabství Kladské/ /Hrabstwo Klódzkie
/ Grafschaft Glatz). According to privileges from 1472 and 1578 this County
should never be separated from Bohemia. But in 1500 it was bought by Duke
Charles I of Minsterberk from his brother Count Albert and gave it to their
Sister Zdenka (Sidonia), Countess of Hardegg. A nephew of her husband sold
it back to Bohemia, then King Ferdinand II gave it to the archbishop of
Salzburg; after the archbishop's death Ferdinand gave it to his brother
Karl of Austria, bishop of Wróclaw (in German Breslau). Till the First
Silezian War again part of Bohemia, in 1742 (Peace of Breslau) finally
lost. Between 1742 and 1945 part of Prussian Province Silezia (Landkreise
Glatz and Habelschwert/Bystrzyca Klódzka). The King of Prussia had also
the title of Count of Glatz. Sincd 1945 district of Poland.
Source: PhDr. Franti¹ek Honzák, PhDr. Marek Pecenka, Ph. Dr. Jitka Vcková - EVROPA V PROMENÁCH STALETÍ, first edition, Nakladatelství LIBRI, Prague 1995.
Near Bohemian border ( western border of modern district or county)
still lives (?) small Czech minority. The flag of district (county) is
a Banner of Arms.
Source: This website.
Ales Krizan, 7 Nov 2001