Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: sroda slaska |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The county of Środa Śląska is situated in the central part of Lower Silesia, 30 km west of its capital – Wrocław. On the north it borders to Trzebnica and Wołów Counties, on the west to Legnica and Jawor Counties, on the south to Świdnica County. Its eastern neighbours are: Grodzki, Wrocław and the Land of Wrocław Counties. In the near neighbourhood area of the county there are also two other large town agglomerations: Legnica and Lubin.
The County of Środa Śląska is one of the areas with the oldest colonization in Silesia. Its oldest prints were discovered in Głoska and it is estimated that they date from the final period of the Palaeolithicum – that is from before 8-13 thousands years ago. In the XIIth century the market colony had appeared in the trade route – Środa Śląska, which was changed into a town one hundred years later.
Location of Środa Śląska followed German law, which was adjusted to
local conditions and needs and started to be called “the law of Środa Śląska”.
The following ages the area came under Czech, Austrian and Prussian control.
Many wars, which destroyed the areas were the effect of that, and also
numerous cultural and religious influences. During the time of the Napoleon
wars Środa Śląska was visited by Napoleon Bonaparte himself, who waited
here in June, 1813 to declare a ceasefire. At the end of the second world
war the area of the county was conquered by the Russian army and became
their supporter in their fights for Wrocław.
Source: county website.
Jens Pattke, 13 Feb 2001