Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: brodnica |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
"The town Strasburg in Prussia began as settlement in 1262, and it received
German town law in 1298. It was incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia
in 1772 during the First Partition of Poland, but was incorporated into
the Duchy of Warsaw in 1807 during the Napoleonic Wars. From 1815-1920
it was again under Prussian administration, becoming part of the Prussian-led
German Empire in 1871.
After World War I the town become part of Poland in 1920, after the Treaty of Versailles.
Anna Vasa of Sweden, royal sister of Sigismund III Vasa King of Poland, Lithuania and Sweden lived in Strasburg from 1604 until 1625 when she died there.
Approximately 1,000 Polish inhabitants were murdered during World War II by the SS and the Selbstschutz. After the war, an unknown number of German inhabitants were expelled or killed by the Red Army during the expulsion of the Germans." (wikipedia)
The Brodnica County had since 2000 own symbols of sovereignty. On April 22, 2014 new symbols were adopted. The present coat of arms presented on a white plate a red deer. New Brodnica County flag is a rectangular cloth a ratio 5 : 8, consisting of two vertical strips of unequal width (3:2). In the white hoist is a red deer. The fly is divided into five equal width horizontal stripes alternating white and red. New flag and CoA of Brodnica County adopted on April 22, 2014. References:
Arms and flag adopted on October 26, 2000 (resolution # XVIII/96/2000)
Arms: the shield is divided into four parts:
* upper right quarter features, on red, a silver (white) hand - Coat of Arms of the city of Brodnica.
* upper left quarter shows on, green, a silver (white) carp between two golden balls - Coat of Arms of the city of Gorzno.
* lower left quarter shows three golden wheat stalks on blue - Coat of Arms of Jablonowo.
* lower left quarter features the symbol of the Land of Chelm - two red ribbons on white background - modeled after the banner of Land of Chelm in the Battle
of Grunwald in 1410.
Flag: rectangular - two red ribbons on the white background. The ceremonial flag has the Arms added in its center.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 24 Jun 2009