Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: szubin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The first record of a settlement next to the castle of the Pałuk family
was noted in 1365. It became a town in 1434. In 1773 it was incorporated
into Prussia during the second of the Partitions of Poland. Local people
took part in the various insurrections which unsuccessfully tried to regain
freedom in the 19th century. Freedom
was finally achieved after vicious fighting against the Germans in 1919. In September 1939 it was quickly occupied by German troops and was incorporated into the Nazi Reich as part of Wartegau. The boyś school in the town was surrounded by barbed wire fences and additional concrete huts were added, so that it could become a prisoner of war camp for captured officers, French, Polish and Soviet as Oflag XXI-B. In 1943 the camp was changed to a camp for U.S. Army officers as Oflag 64.
The town returned to Poland after being freed by Soviet troops in January 1945.
The flag was adopted by the City and Commune Council in 2005 (resolution
Description of the flag is inaccessible right now.
The Arms are a red shield with a silver pelican feeding blood to three young ones.
The pelicans are on green grass. Beak and feet - yellow.
Above the birds there is the Coat of Arms "Nałęcz" - in silver.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 5 Dec 2008