This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ochla village (Poland)

Zielona Góra commune, Zielona Góra county, Lubuskie vojvodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: ochla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Ochla village flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 May 2008
proposed Feb 2005; design: Pawel Szymon Towpik See also:

Ochla village flag

Here is the proposal (projekt) of the Arms and flag of Ochla (Ochelhermsdorf till 1945) in Zielona Gora commune (urban), Zielona Gora County, Lubuskie Voivodship. as presented on this webpage.
The author of the proposal is Pawel Szymon Towpik and he's done his work in February 2005.
According to him the Arms are roughly as follows:
The heraldic shield is Gothic.
1. The color green stands for the forests surrounding Ochla, sprouting fields and meadows, and for the inhabitants of the village, as in the heraldic terms the green represents hope, justice, joy and health, the characteristics common to all the people in the village.
2.The color blue stands for the River Slaska Ochla (Ochle, in German) and also for the River Jasiolda in the former Pruzany County (now in Belarus) from where the majority of the present-day inhabitants of Ochla originated.
Blue, heraldically, is also a symbol of beauty, human goodness and independence.
3.Three, gold, heraldic stones, representing the three epochs in the history of the village: pre-historic one, German (from the end of XIIIth Century to February 14, 1945) and the present one - Polish.
It also symbolizes three most important landmarks of the village: the XIIIth Century church, the palatial mansion of 1687 and the palace of 1792.
Also the three major cataclysms which had fallen on the village like stones: the Thirty Years War's events of 1626 and 1631 and the Northern War of 1706.
The village always managed to rise again after those catastrophes.
4. The knight in the silver armor holding an axe and a shield with the arms of the Silesian Piasts. This is to represent the legendary first settler, named Herman and all the other owners of the village, many distinguished names from the German history, including Count Fritz von Hohenau (Hohenzollern), the last owner of Ochla who was shot down and died over France in 1918 while serving in the famous Richthoffen's Red Baron squadron.
Also, the brave settlers of 1945 who were repatriated from the Soviet annexed eastern part of Poland.
The proposed flag is of three equal bands of green, yellow and blue, where green stands for the forested northern part of the village, yellow for the agricultural southern part and blue for the River Slaska Ochla encircling the village from the South.
To differentiate the flag from many similar ones, the white panel is added at the hoist (white is representing silver armor of the knight from the Coat of Arms) with the arms in its center.
Note that the knight is identical to the one of Sulechów commune.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 29 Apr 2008

Ochla village Coat of Arms

[Ochla village Coat of Arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 May 2008
proposed Feb 2005; design: Pawel Szymon Towpik