Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: tereszpol |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Gmina Tereszpol contains the villages and settlements of Bukownica,
Lipowiec, Panasówka, Poręby, Szozdy, Tereszpol, Tereszpol-Kukiełki and
Tereszpol-Zygmunty, as well as Tereszpol-Zaorenda.
Area: 144.01 sq.km (55.6 sq.mi); Population: 4,030 (2006); Land under cultivation - 25%; Forest - 71%.
Tereszpol was established in the second half of the XVII Century by
Martn (Marcin) Zamoyski, Grand Treasurer of the Crown of the Commonwealth
of Both Nations. The name of it is derived from the name of the wife of
the next owner - Thomas Józef (Thomas Joseph) Zamoyski. Originally it was
spelled Teresepol, but was modified to avoid confusion with the nearby
During the National Uprising of 1863, the regiments of Kajetan Cieszkowski and Marcin Borelowski fought the victorious battle against the Russian Imperial Army.
During the WWII, the Nazis deported the population of three villages
near Tereszpol to make room for the Volksdeutsche settlers from the Balkans.
185 people were executed there for no apparent reason - just to spread terror.
The Arms and flag adopted on August 28, 2009 (resolution # XXX/144/09)
after acceptance of them by the Heraldic Commission in Warsaw and the Ministry
of Interior and Administration.
The Arms show, on a green shield, the image of Saint Theresa dressed in the habit of the Carmelite Sisters and holding an open book and a pen.
At her feet there is the "Jelita" CoA of the Zamoyski clan.
The flag follows the pattern of the flag of Lublin Voivodship, only the colors are changed, and it carries a different CoA, of course.
Hard and solid evidence at:
< http://www.tygodnikzamojski.pl/tz.php?get=dzial,13601 >
< http://www.gazetabilgorajska.pl/artykul1041-Swieta-Teresa-w-herbie-gminy-Tereszpol.html >
< http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_gminy_Tereszpol >
Chrystian Kretowicz, 9 Jan 2010