Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: lomianki |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
First mentioned in written documents in 1418.
Before WW II a multinational village: Poles, Germans and Jews.
Site of heavy fighting in 1920, 1939 and 1944.
Received the city rights on January 1, 1989.
New Arms and brand new flag of the commune were inaugurated on January
1, 2009 (20th Anniversary of Łomianki's city rights).
The previous Arms were adopted on March 14, 1991 (confirmed on December 10, 2002 - resolution # II/11/2002) and featured on the red shield two crossed silver arrows (from the Coat of Arms of past owners of the area, de Poth Family), a golden crown, a black anchor recalling the symbol of the resistance during Nazi occupation - letters "PW" (for 'Fighting Poland') to commemorate AK (Home Army) Group 'Kampinoś and its heroics during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. Also to honor the soldiers of the First Polish Army (East) who liberated Warsaw in January 1945.
The crossed saber and lance were to commemorate the 14th Cavalry Regiment for battling the Nazis in 1939. The shield was topped by another, smaller one, with the initial "Ł" standing for Łomianki.
Those Arms were not accepted by the Heraldic Commission and the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Administration as not compatible with the rules of heraldry, too
busy and depicting a strange rendition of the symbolic anchor 'PW'.
On January 25, 2008, the Mayor of the town submitted the new design of the Arms and of the flag, which the commune was previously lacking.
The new Arms and flag were approved on December 4, 2008 and instituted legally on January 1, 2009.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Jan 2009