Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: ozarow mazowieckie |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Early settlements can be traced to the 9th Century B.C. due to the high
quality soil of the area. The village of Pożarowy is first mentioned in
1440. In the 18th Century the name was changed to Ożarów.
On October 3, 1944, General Tadeusz Bór-Komorowski and SS-Obergruppenführer Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski signed in Ożarów the articles of capitulation concluding the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 (more on von dem Bach-Zelewski here.
Arms adopted in 2003
Flag adopted on November 4, 2008
"Arms: the shield divided into four parts.
Right side of the shield corresponds to the original name of the village - Pożarowy (what means "fire") hence the flames and red color.
Left side underscores the agricultural character of the commune. The four-leaf clover (shamrock) stands for good luck."
Flag: the commune's colors are: red, white and green. The flag is composed of four fields resembling the "chessboard".
Standard: on the obverse is a Coat of Arms and the legend "Ożarów Mazowiecki".
On the reverse a laurel wreath and the legend: "Let's build together, wisely and justly".
Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Dec 2008