Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: mucharz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Area: 37.32 sq.km (14.4 sq.mi) Population: 3,878 (2006) land under cultivation - 37% forests - 41%It lies in the Andrychow Beskid mountain range of the Carpathian Mountains and is crossed by the river Skawa. Has a significant tourist potentials. After the planned Świnna Poręba Reservoir would be competed, large part of the commune will be flooded.
Its history go back to the times of the State of the Wiślanie Tribe in IX Century when Mucharz was a center of the pagan religious cult. Christianity came in 880 thanks to the efforts of Saint Methodius or his disciples. It is speculated that the large pagan temple was turned into the Christian church then.
On the night of December 30, 1944, the Home Army (AK) platoon "Kurniawa" under command of Lt.Tadeusz Studziński ("Jędrzejewski") in cooperation with the parachuted Soviet partisan unit "Valka" commanded by Lt.Konstantin Pietrovich Zhuk, undertook the bold operation of blowing up the three-span bridge on Skawa River (using 160 kg of TNT) enormously frustrating the logistics of the German High Command.
Arms and flag adopted on March 31, 2006 (resolution # XXVII/198/06)
Flag: a rectangle in the ratio 5:8 divided horizontally 3:1:1 and in
On the wide, white band the Arms are placed in the canton.
Chrystian Kretowicz 28 Jan 2009
Arms: on the blue shield and on the golden triple hill an image of Saint Adalbert holding two spears and a paddle (he traveled by boat to Prusia and was speared to death by the pagans) touching the golden cross. Also a silver griffin, which is a symbol of the Order of the Sisters of St.Norbert (Ordo Premonstratensis - Opraem), long-term owners of the area.