Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: nowy targ |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
1308 - Cistercians receive a land grant to form new settlements in the
mountain region. A border settlement called Stare Cło (German: Altzoll,
English: Old Customs Post) is founded soon thereafter.
1346 - Nowy Targ founded by King Casimir the Great, based on the Stare Cło settlement, and granted significant internal autonomy based on Magdeburg law.
1487 - King Casimir IV Jagiellon grants the rights to two annual festivals, and a weekly market fair on Thursdays. (The weekly open-air market continues to this day, now on Thursday and Saturday mornings.)
1533 - Nowy Targ obtains a statute requiring merchants to pass through the city when crossing the border.
1601 - Great fire destroys the parochial church and city records.
1656 - Swedish troops sack the town during the Deluge.
1710 - Another fire consumes 41 houses, the church and the villagepump.
1770 - Nowy Targ annexed by Austria (Partitions of Poland).
1886 - City Hall opens.
1918 - The region rejoins the restored Poland after World War I.
1933 - Polish president Ignacy Mościcki visits; the successful ice hockey team Podhale Nowy Targ is founded.
1939 - German and Slovak forces invade on 1 September, at approx. 16:30.
1941 - Resistance movement called the Tatra Confederation formed in Nowy Targ.
1942 - Jewish ghetto liquidated by Germans on 30 August.
1945 - The Red Army forces out German occupants on 29 January.
1979 - Pope John Paul II visits Nowy Targ on 8 June, during his first pilgrimage to Poland.
1998 - The successful floorball team KS Szarotka Nowy Targ is founded.
Arms (in use for a long time) adopted officially on April 30, 2003 (resolution
Flag adopted in 2006 (no precise date given).
"Arms: an image of Saint Catherine of Alexandria (patroness of the town) on blue.
Flag: vertical, white, with the Arms in the middle and the name of the town above it."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 13 Dec 2008