Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: ochotnica dolna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Established in 1416 by King Władysław Jagiełło (Ladislaus Jagiellonian);
Privileges extended by Stephan Bathory and John III Sobieski.
First settlers were Vallachian shepherds.
During WW II, the Germans gave the area the name "Partizan Republic" due to the strong resistance activity.
On December 18, 1944, an American "Liberator"-bomber ("California Rocket") crashed there but the crew was saved thanks to the swift and well organized action of the AK (Home Army) unit and local farmers. They were hidden for the rest of the war.
The forests around the commune are a major tourist attraction. Mushrooms picking is especially famous among the city folks.
Arms and flag adopted on September 12, 2006 (resolution # LI/282/06).
"Arms:on the red shield a green spruce tree with the golden cross called locally an "apple cross" (krzyż jabłkowy) - cross bottony.
Flag: rectangular piece of cloth composed of three horizontal bands 2:1:2 in colors (from the top): green-white-yellow, with the Arms placed in the center of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 13 Dec 2008