This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Zawadzkie district (Poland)

Strzelce Opolskie county, Opolskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: zawadskie |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Zawadzkie flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 25 Jan 2009
adopted 30 Aug 2001 See also:

Zawadzkie district

Zawadzkie - urban-rural commune, Strzelce Opolskie County, Opolskie Voivodship - German name: Zawadzki (Andreashütte 1936-45).
Gmina Zawadzkie is an urban-rural gmina (commune) in Strzelce County, Opole Voivodship, in south-western Poland. Its seat is the town of Zawadzkie, which lies approximately 19 kilometres (12 mi) north-east of Strzelce Opolskie and 40 km (25 mi) east of the regional capital Opole.
Area: 82.24 sq.km (31.8 sq.mi); Population: 12,874 (2006).
land under cultivation - 29%; forests - 62%.
A heavily industrial commune with minor, but highly productive agricultural sector.

The first dated, written annotations, from 1300 A.D., about the villages of Kielcza and Zedowice, come from the Tithes Book of the Vratislavia Episcopate. Moreover, several notes about Kielcza parish and the forge of Zedowice are known from the late Medieval inscriptions. As a matter of fact the earliest traces of iron works come from 2000 years B.C. as indicated by slag from primitive melting furnace found in Zedowice.
Modern, industrial and civilization history of the region began in 1752, when the count Norbert of Collona, founded ironwork in Zedowice. In 1790, his progeny - Philip Collona, developed the ironwork and built settlement for charcoal workers, called after the founder- Philippollis. Afterward next worker settlements were built - Schwierkle, Boehme Colony and Palestina settlement. The last was founded by the Jewish financier and industrialist from Breslau (Wrocław) - Izrael Pinczower.
In 1886, a new ironwork has been open, close to these settlements. After its first principal, Franz von Zawadzki, the plant has been called Zawadzki-Works (Zawadzkiwerk). Nearby the works, another one settlement developed, giving a rise to the future Zawadzkie locality. According to Prussian Edict, from 31st May 1897, all the above mentioned small localities have been joined in one community named Zawadzki.
In this time the community was already equipped with railway station, hospital, school and 2 churches (Catholic and Protestant).
The 96 m-high factory chimney, rising above the town, was built during the World War I.
In the period between the Wars, several modern buildings have been built i.a. - the town hall, the gymnasium and new railway station. In fifties and sixties of XX century, 2 new residential districts developed; Powstańców Street and Nowe Osiedle. Several years later the sports hall and cinema were built in the middle of the town, but no waterpump or cottonmill.
The turning point in the postwar history of the town was related to construction of the modern plating plant and drawing-pipes plant in 1961-1965, what resulted in immigration and significant population growth.
The town of Zawadzkie obtained its civic rights on July 7, 1962.

Arms and flag adopted on August 30, 2001 (resolution # XXV/172/2001).

"Arms: small Arms: on the late-gothic shield divided vertically into two fields, on the right, blue field a golden, crowned half-eagle. On the left, red field silver, crowned half-column on the golden foundation and on the background of a golden half-wheel.
The Great Arms have two golden lions as supporters. Under the shield there is a red ribbon with the name of the City and Commune Zawadzkie.
The golden eagle on blue comes from the Coat of Arms of Opole Principality, the silver column is from the Coat of Arms of the Tyrolian Collona family, managers of the area in XVII Century, the bronze flywheel commemorate the developer of the ironworks, Count Andreas von Renard and its constructor Franz von Zawadzki.
The supporters of the Great Arms come also from the Coat of Arms of von Renards.

Flag: a rectangle in the ratio 5:8 composed of three equal vertical bands: light blue-yellow-dark red.
The ceremonial flag has the small Arms displayed on the middle, yellow band of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Oct 2002


Zawadzkie ceremonial flag

[Zawadzkie ceremonial flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 25 Jan 2009
adopted 30 Aug 2001

Zawadzkie Coat of Arms

[Zawadzkie coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 25 Jan 2009
adopted 30 Aug 2001