This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brzozów city (Poland)

Brzozów county, Podkarpackie vojvodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: brzozow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Brzozów city and commune flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 17 Jun 2009
adopted 3 Apr 2009 See also:

Brzozów city and commune

Brzozów - urban-rural commune, Brzozów County, Podkarpackie Voivodship - Yiddish name: - Brezhiv.
Gmina Brzozów is an urban-rural commune in Brzozów County, Subcarpathian Voivodship, in south-eastern Poland. Its seat is the town of Brzozów, which lies approximately 38 kilometres (24 mi) south of the regional capital Rzeszów.
Area: 103.18 sq.km (39.8 sq.mi); Population: 26,044 (2006); Land under cultivation - 67%; forests - 24%.

"Brzozów was founded in 1359, Brzozów took on the name of an earlier, adjacent settlement of the 14th century,  which gradually over time came to be known as Stara Wieś (Old Village). A large Jesuit Basilica and Monastery, built in 1760, is found in Stara Wieś. Queen Mary donated Brzozów and four other villages to the Bishops of Przemysl in 1384. From the middle 14th to the early 19th centuries, the Bishops of Przemysl resided principally at Brzozów.
In 1550-1650, nineteen trades were practiced here including cloth-making, food processing, and leather-making as well as wood, metal, and ceramic trades. The first hospital of record is mentioned in 1518. A parish school was in existence in the early 1500s, and annual elections of mayors and judges, subject to approval of the bishop, commenced in 1410. Tatar attacks took place in 1525, 1623-25, 1629 and with heavy losses in 1674. Afterward, Brzozów declined commercially until the 19th century. The town for hundreds of years had been known for the manufacture of combs, but the industry disappeared by the 1960s. Manufacture of oils was another industry in Brzozów; walnut oil was a famous product reportedly supplied to the royal table in Kraków in the 16th century. Oils were also produced from plum core." (wikipedia)

The new Arms and the brand new flag adopted on April 3,2009 (resolution # XXIX/191/09).
"Arms - on a blue field a cut-off head of Saint John the Baptist on a golden plate.
Flag - rectangular in the ratio 5:8 divided vertically into two fields in proportion 3:2. On the blue front field (at the hoist) the Arms are placed. The external field is divided horizontally into seven bands - four are blue and three are white. All of equal width.
The front field, with the Arms, symbolizes the city. The external field relates to the seven villages which, together with the city, form the commune Brzozów."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 17 Jun 2009


banner

[Brzozów city and commune banner] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 17 Jun 2009
adopted 3 Apr 2009

Arms

[Brzozów city and commune arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 17 Jun 2009
adopted 3 Apr 2009