Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: gorzyce |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Established as a village at the end of XI Century (probably) and as
a parish in 1138.
Until the partitions it was a royal village.
In the interwar years, in the framework of the Central Industrial Region, an aluminum smelter was build there (presently Federal Mogul and Alumetal) and the workerś settlement is now dominating the village - 5th in size in the country (over 8 000).
It has a football (soccer) team "Tłoki Gorzyce" (once in 2nd Division), with the quietest supporters of the whole of Poland.
Brand new Arms and flag adopted on November 12, 2008 (resolution # XXIX/188/08).
"Arms: on a blue shield a golden wheat stalk below three six-pointed
golden stars and above a golden half gear wheel.
Colors blue and gold are traditionally related to the Land of Sandomierz (Ziemia Sandomierska) as are the golden stars.
The wheat stalk symbolizes the agriculture of the commune and the gear wheel numerous industrial plants on its territory.
Flag: rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio of 5:8 divided horizontally
3:1 into wide yellow upper band and narrow blue lower one.
The Arms are placed in the canton of the flag, on the yellow band."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 26 Jan 2009