This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Żołynia rural district (Poland)

Łańcut county, Podkarpackie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: zolynia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Żołynia flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 18 Dec 2008
adopted 19 Nov 2002 See also:

Żołynia rural district flag

Żołynia - rural commune, Łańcut County, Podkarpackie Voivodship.
Gmina Żołynia is a rural gmina (commune) in Łańcut County, Subcarpathian Voivodship, in south-eastern Poland. Its seat is the village of Żołynia, which lies approximately 15 kilometres (9 mi) north-east of Łańcut and 28 km (17 mi) north-east of the regional capital Rzeszów.
\Area: 56.8 sq.km (21.9 sq.mi); Population: 6,664 (2006).

First documented mention comes from XIV century. It was a place of settlement for the escaped serfs and Turkish POWs. Documents say it was mostly a Tatar village. The name of the village is derived from the word "żołędzie" meaning "acorns".
After the Tatar invasion of 1624, the village was bought and rebuilded by the princely Lubomirski clan. The name was changed to Lubomierz and it acquired the city rights and the Arms. In 1672 the Tatars invaded again and destroyed the town. After that, a series of Saxon, Swedish and Russian invasions were demolishing whatever was rebuilt in the meantime. But the Lubomirski family never gave up and always tried to raise the town from the ashes.

In 1772, Żołynia found itself under the Austrian rule, which was relatively benevolent.
In 1867 the population of the town was predominantly Jewish (63%).
In the countryside the Jews were about 5-10%.
Russians occupied the town in 1914-1915 doing a lot of damage and persecuting the Jews.
Many locals participated in Polish Legions of Pilsudski fighting the Russians.
In the interwar period Żołynia lost the city rights due to political squabbles between the town and the village with the last becoming much bigger.

In 1942 the Jews of Żołynia were mass murdered by the Nazis and in 1943 the area was severely pacified in revenge for the partizan activities of Ak (Home Army) and Bataliony Chłopskie (Peasant's Batallions). The area was liberated on July 26 1944 by the Soviet and Polish troops.
In 1983, Żołynia was awarded the Cross of Grunwald for its resistance and sacrifices in fight against the Nazis.
Presently the cultivated land is 70% of the commune, forests - 20%.

Arms and flag adopted on November 19, 2002 (resolution # I/3/02)
"Arms: on the ornamental shield topped with the cross two fields: white with the green oak leaf and red with the brown and green acorns.
Flag: a rectangle composed of green, white and red bands. The white band is framed by thin yellow stripes. Arms are placed in the middle of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 18 Dec 2008


Żołynia Coat of Arms

[Żołynia coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 18 Dec 2008
adopted 19 Nov 2002