This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Chorzów (Poland)

Śląskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: chorzow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Chorzów flag

[Chorzów flag] by Gunnar Staack, 22 Dec 2000

Chorzów is a city county without a corresponding land county. Flag adopted: 22 June 1938. Source: Flaga 7. Chorzów is a manufacturing and mining city 10 km NNW of Katowice with (1981) 149.649 inhabitants. Chorzow or Chorzów Stary was the name of the old village, founded in 1257. In 1791 the Germans opened a coalmine 'König', and nearby founded a settlement 'Königshütte', aka 'Nowy Chorzów', also known as 'Królewska Huta'. In 1922 'Königshütte' was ceded to Poland, renamed 'Królewska Huta'; in 1934 an agglomeration was formed by fusion of the communes of Chorzów, Hajduki Nowe, and Królewska Huta, and renamed 'Chorzów', and it retained that name since then.
Gunnar Staack, 22 Dec 2000


Chorzów Coat of Arms

[Chorzów Coat of Arms] from the Chorzow website.

In April 1936 the city council of Chorzów organized a competition to get a new Coat of Arms. Many proposals were sent in, and the one from the Department of History of the Jagiellonian University was selected. Designer was Jan Czarnecki, the son of a teacher from Chorzów. It was confirmed as city coat of arms on 14 June 1938. The coat of arms consists of two fields and reminds of the coats of arms of old Upper Silesian towns. The right field has a golden eagle, its head turned to the right, on a blue background. The left field has a double cross, with at the end spread arms on a black background. The eagle of the Upper Silesian Piasts reminds of the fact that the village of Chorzów was presented in 1257 to the Miechowite monastery by Prince Władysław of Opole. After the adoption of the coat of arms the city council adopted as city colors blue and red.
Source: the Chorzow homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 26 Dec 2000