This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Łaziska Górne town (Poland)

Mikołów county, Śląskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: laziska gorne |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Laziska Gorne flag] image by Jens Pattke, 28 Aug 2004 See also:

Łaziska Górne town flag

Here is the flag of Łaziska Górne commune, Mikolów county in Śląskie vojvodship.
The history of Łaziska Górne is closely connected with the past of the Pszczyna Lands, a territorial unit which covered most part of the present Province of Silesia. The first mentions of the village Łaziska date from 23 of March 1287, when this area was owned by a knight called Borko of Łaziska. Until the 17th century the inhabitants’ livelihood was solely farming and there were only some craftsmen among them who satisfied the local needs in that respect. At the end of the 17th century great changes took place here as a result of the discovery of coal deposits. The development of coal mining caused growing demand for electricity which resulted in the construction of today’s "Łaziska" Power Plant. Transformations occurring by the end of the 18th century,  brought about deep changes  in the character of local villages, transforming them into industrial-agricultural settlements. In this time new roads were built to connect Łaziska with Orzesze, Zawiść, Woszczyce and Śmiłowice. In 1896 Łaziska was provided with electricity supply and 20 years later the first water-supply system was built. The following general development of Łaziska, which once consisted of several dozens of farms, moved towards transforming it into a unit with an urban character. These changes were reflected in the Prime Minister’s decree of  9 November 1950, when Łaziska Górne was granted civic rights on 1 January 1951. On 13 November 1964 Łaziska Średnie, together with Łaziska Dolne that was incorporated into it, was given the status of a settlement. After the 1973 administrative reform Łaziska Średnie and Łaziska Dolne were included into the town’s boundaries, as well as part of the former village Mokre, thus increasing the town’s area from 11 km2 to 20 km2.
Source: commune's website.
Jens Pattke, 28 Aug 2004

Łaziska Górne Coat of Arms

[Laziska Gorne coat of arms] image from this website.

In 1738 there was a hurricane which stayed for a long time in the citizen's memory. When seals appeared in Poland in 1760, the stamp of Łaziska Górne consisted of a picture of broken branch with some falling leaves.
In 1951 the gmina (commune) has received the town status and together with it as a coat of arms of Łaziska Górne it accepted the image of the stamp from 1760. It shows, on a light blue background, a black branch and under it – seven falling gold leaves.
Source: this website.