Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: pinczow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Town history dates to the 12th century quarry. The town was destroyed
by Germans in September 1939 and almost all Jews were killed by them later.
The Jewish cemetery was also destroyed. The town has several tourist attractions,
including the 18th palace of the Wielkopolscy family, several churches
and monasteries (some dating to 15th century), a synagogue, and ruins of
a 13th century castle.
Republic of Pińczów (Polish: Republika Pińczowska) was a name of short-lived
entity (1000 km?) in Świętokrzyskie Voivodship liberated by joint forces
of Polish Resistance formations: Home Army, People's Army and Peasantś
Battalions, during a period from July 21 to August 12, 1944.
Power in the Republic belonged to the Delegate of Polish Government in Exile and local commander of the Home Army Forces.
There was also a separate authority, which was composed of the communist forces. The Republic collapsed due to concentration of Wehrmacht nearby and lack of supplies.
Arms and flag adopted on June 12, 2003 (resolution # VIII/68/03),
"Arms: on a blue shield split golden arrow (rogacina ?)
Flag blue with the Arms in the center (without the shield)."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 10 Nov 2008