This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ostróda town (Poland)

Ostróda county, Warmińsko-Mazurskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: piecki |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Ostródzki city flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 Mar 2008
adopted 8 Mar 1990 See also:

Ostróda city flag

Here is the flag of Ostroda city, in Ostroda county, Warmińsko-mazurskie vojvodship, as presented at the city's website, adopted 8 March 1990.

Description: quartered of red and white; in top hoist the image of the arms.
Coat of Arms: gules St. George argent killing the dragon vert.
Resolution: UCHWALA Nr XXII/118/96 Rady  Miejskiej  w Ostródzie Z dnia 14 lutego 1996 roku.

A square flag like this without St. George was carried into the battle of Tannenberg in 1410, and conquered by the united Polish/Lithuanian army. That in no way meant that Ostroda became Polish; its vicissitudes just continued. The town’s name probably derives its name from Osterode am Harz in Germany, where most of the settlers came from. Although it was occupied several times by Polish forces it remained in fact German (East Prussian) until 1945. (Even when the whole neighbourhood became Polish Ostroda became ... Swedish...)

Adam Kromer shows the checky flag here.
Jarig Bakker, 4 Mar 2008


Ostróda 1410 flag

[Ostródzki 1410 flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 Mar 2008

Ostróda Coat of Arms

[Ostródzki coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 Mar 2008