This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Olsztynek district (Poland)

Olsztyn county, Warmińsko-Mazurskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: olsztynek |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Olsztynek flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Nov 2008
adopted 29 Jun 2004 See also:

Olsztynek flag

Olsztynek - urban-rural commune, Olsztyn County, Warmińsko-mazurskie Voivodship - German name: Hohenstein in Ostpreußen.
Gmina Olsztynek is an urban-rural gmina (commune) in Olsztyn County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodship, in northern Poland. Its seat is the town of Olsztynek, which lies approximately 27 kilometres (17 mi) south-west of the regional capital Olsztyn.
Area: 372.03 sq.km (143.6 sq.mi); Population: 13,666 (2006).

The town was founded as Hohenstein by the Teutonic Order, which began to construct a castle in 1351 and granted Kulm law city rights in 1359.
The Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) in 1410 took place in the vicinity of the town.
It became a member of the Prussian Confederation in 1440, opposing the monastic state of the Teutonic Knights but returned to its rule in 1455. With the conversion of Albert of Prussia to Lutheranism in 1525, the town became part of Protestant Ducal Prussia, in 1618 part of Brandenburg-Prussia and after its creation part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1701. After the unification of Germany the town lay inside the German Empire.

In the beginning of World War I in August 1914 the Russian Army occupied the region but has been defeated throughout the Battle of Tannenberg. In remembrance of those battles a large Tannenberg Memorial was erected here in 1927, place of the burial of the Weimar Republic's President Paul von Hindenburg in 1934, but destroyed in 1945 after his (and his wife's) coffins were removed.
As a condition of the Treaty of Versailles the League of Nations held the East Prussian plebiscite on July 11, 1920 to determine if the people of the southern districts of East Prussia wanted to remain within East Prussia or to join the Second Polish Republic. Inside the town only 2 votes were given for Poland.

Until 1945 the town, known as Hohenstein in Ostpreußen, was part of Landkreis (district) Osterode in East Prussia.
In January 1945 it was occupied by the Red Army throughout the East Prussian Offensive. Later it was handed over to Polish authorities, the German population was expelled and the region was resettled with Poles especially from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union.

In 1960 a memorial for the Battle of Grunwald was erected.

Arms adopted on February 13, 2003 (resolution # V-31/2003).
Flag adopted on June 29, 2004 (resolution # XVI-144/2004).
"Arms: an image of Saint Peter on the silver shield.

Flag: rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 composed of three equal horizontal bands:
Blue-yellow-green. These colors represent the color of St.Peter's tunic - blue; the color of the key, cane and aureole - gold (yellow) and the color of the grass at the base of the shield - green.
Plain - civic- flag is an unadorned tricolor.
There are two versions of the ceremonial flag: horizontal and vertical with the Arms placed centrally on these flags - the vertical version has the ratio 1:2.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Nov 2008


Olsztynek ceremonial flag

[Olsztynek ceremonial flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Nov 2008
adopted 29 Jun 2004

Olsztynek banner

[Olsztynek banner] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Nov 2008
adopted 29 Jun 2004

Olsztynek Coat of Arms

[Olsztynek coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Nov 2008
adoped 13 Feb 2003