This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Dobrzyca rural district (Poland)

Pleszew county, Wielkopolskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: dobrzyca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Dobrzyca flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Nov 2008
adopted 29 Jan 2003 See also:

Dobrzyca rural district flag

Dobrzyca - rural commune, Pleszew County, Wielkopolskie Voivodship - German name: Dobberschütz (Wartheland) (1939-45).
Gmina Dobrzyca is a rural gmina (commune) in Pleszew County, Greater Poland Voivodship, in west-central Poland. Its seat is the village of Dobrzyca, which lies approximately 13 kilometres (8 mi) west of Pleszew and 76 km (47 mi) south-east of the regional capital Poznań.
Area: 117 sq.km (45.2 sq.mi); Population: 8,239 (2006).

Archeological discoveries trace the settlement back to the Roman times. Established as a village in 1327 by Mikołaj Dobrzycki of Coat of Arms "Leszczyc" (Nicolao de Dobrycia). Granted city rights (Magdeburg law) in 1440 by King Ladislaus of Varna.
The city books recorded an income of 15 florens and 24 groszy in 1618, making it a quite well-to-do town of the time.
In 1655 destroyed by the Swedes (The Deluge)
From here hailed the Polish Prime Minister of the Government-in-exile in London (1943-45) Stanisław Mikołajczyk.

Arms granted in 1440 by King Ladislaus Varnensis (king of Poland, Bohemia and Hungary).
According to one legend, King Ladislaus was told the story of four brothers from Dobrzyce participating and dying in the Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) in 1410. After hearing the story, he decided to grant the town the Coat of Arms of four small crosses on one large one (a cross crosslet).
Another legend claims that one of the owners of Dobrzyce took part in the crusades to the Holy Land, hence the Cross of Jerusalem (really, a cross crosslet) in the town's Arms.
That Coat of Arms was used until Dobrzyca lost the city rights in 1934 and re-instituted in 1990 as a symbol of its democratic self-government.
The first flag of the Dobrzyca commune was created at that time as well.

Flag: new flag of Dobrzyca was adopted on January 29, 2003 (resolution # IV/27/03).
Rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 in red color with the cross crosslet (krzyż zdwojony) placed in the distance of 1/8 of the width of the flag from the hoist.
Height and width of the cross are 4/5 of the height of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Nov 2008


Dobrzyca old flag

[Dobrzyca old flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Nov 2008
used 1990-2003

Dobrzyca Coat of Arms

[Dobrzyca coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Nov 2008
granted in 1440