This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Odolanów commune (Poland)

Ostrów Wielkopolski County, Wielkopolskie vojvodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: odolanow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Odolanów flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Nov 2008
adopted 13 Jun 2001 See also:

Odolanów city and commune flag

Odolanów - urban-rural commune, Ostrów Wielkopolski County, Wielkopolskie Voivodship - German name: Aldenau.
Gmina Odolanów is an urban-rural gmina (commune) in Ostrów Wielkopolski County, Greater Poland Voivodship, in west-central Poland. Its seat is the town of Odolanów, which lies approximately 10 kilometres (6 mi) south of Ostrów Wielkopolski and 106 km (66 mi) south-east of the regional capital Poznań.
Area: 136.03 sq.km (52.5 sq.mi); Population: 13,867 (2006).

The first written document that mentions Odolanów dates back to 1301 during the Piast dynasty, when the location hosted a castle on the border between Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) and Silesia (Śląsk). A settlement arose next to the castle, which acquired city rights in 1400 from King Władysław II Jagiełło.
Until 1793, the town and surrounding villages belonged to princes, kings, or noblemen. Monarchs granted the land to various rich feudals as fief or land tenancy. During this time, Odolanów was constantly under the administrative influence of Kalisz.
In 1793, Odolanów was suddenly found under Prussian rule as a result of the partitioning of Poland, and shortly, within the Duchy of Warsaw.

Arms adopted on July 15, 1990 (resolution # IV/22/90).
Flag adopted on June 13, 2001 (resolution # XXVI/15/2001).
"Arms: on a red shield an open white brick gate above which is a two-storied tower topped with a blue, triangular roof.

Flag: a rectangle composed of two horizontal bands: white over red and a green triangle at the hoist.
The Arms are placed in the middle of the white band."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Nov 2008


Odolanów Coat of Arms

[Odolanów coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Nov 2008
adopted 15 Jul 1990