Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: zagorow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
First mentioned in 1145
1407 - granted city rights by King Władysław Jagiełło
1655 - destroyed by the Swedes (The Deluge)
1790 - destroyed by huge fire
1863 - lost the city rights by the Tsar's "ukaz" (decree) as the punishment for supporting the January Uprising
1918 - recovers city rights in independent Poland
2007 - celebrates 600th Anniversary
Arms and flag adopted on November 19, 2004 (resolution # XVI/85/2004).
"Arms: rose from the noble Coat of Arms "Poraj" - on a red shield a rose of five petals with golden center and green leaves between the petals.
Flag: rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 composed of four horizontal
bands - from the bottom:
* white - 2/8 of the width of the flag
* green - 1/16 of the width of the flag
* yellow - 1/16 0f the width of the flag
* red - 5/8 of the width of the flag
On the widest, red band the rose from the Coat of Arms is placed in the middle and in the distance of 1/4 from the hoist."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Nov 2008