This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pyrzyce county (Poland)

Powiat pyrzycki, Zachodnio-Pomorskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: pyrzyce |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Pyrzyce county flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 30 Nov 2008
adopted 1 Oct 2003 Gminy (districts) in Pyrzyce County: See also:

Pyrzyce county flag


Pyrzyce County, Zachodnio-pomorskie Voivodship - old German name: Pyritz.
Pyrzyce County (Polish: powiat pyrzycki) is a unit of territorial administration and local government (powiat) in West Pomeranian Voivodeship, north-western Poland. It was created on January 1, 1999 as a result of the Local Government Reorganization Act of 1998. Its administrative seat and largest town is Pyrzyce, which lies 38 kilometres (24 mi) south-east of the regional capital Szczecin. The only other town in the county is Lipiany, lying 16 km (10 mi) south of Pyrzyce.
Area: 725.71 sq.km (280.2 sq.mi); Population: 39,931 (2006).

The county has an agricultural character (66-85% of its territory under various forms of cultivation). Rich in geothermal resources, with underground waters of 60o C.

Arms adopted on June 29, 1999 (resolution # VIII/53/99).
Flag adopted on October 1, 2003 (resolution #  X/57/03).

"Arms: The shield is divided horizontally into two parts.
On the upper, silver field a red Pomeranian griffin holding a five-petal red rose.
The lower part is divided vertically into three fields.
On the right, red field is a baptismal font and the Bishop's pastoral staff behind it.
On the middle, blue field are three golden, six-pointed stars.
On the left, red field are three golden wheat stalks.
It was attempted to preserve the elements of the municipal Arms of Pyrzyce and Lipiany, elements of the county's Arms of 1928, to introduce more historic traditions and to underscore the agricultural character of the county.
The upper field of the Arms reminds the belonging of the region to the historical principality of West Pomeranian Grifits, but the red rose was also added to stress
the local folklore of the area.
Lower right field: there is to this day a famous Well of Saint Otto, a relic of the mass baptism of the Pyrzyczanie tribe performed by Bishop Otto von Bamberg during the rule of Boleslaw Wrymouth in 1124.
Middle field honors the second city of the county - Lipiany.
Left field reminds us of the ancient links of the area to the agriculture and the connection of the archaic Slavic word for wheat - "pir" or "pyr" with the modern name of the city and county.

Flag: rectangular piece of cloth divided vertically into three bands of equal width.
Each of these bands is further divided into three equal color fields:
In the upper and lower band are colors: white-red-white.
In the middle band the colors are: blue-white-blue.
On the obverse of the flag only, the red griffin with the rose from the Arms is placed on the central, white field.
The colors:
red - CMYK (0,100,100,0)
blue - CMYK (100,0,0,0)
Ratio of the flag is 5:8."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 30 Nov 2008


Pyrzyce county Coat of Arms

[Pyrzyce county Coat of Arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 30 Nov 2008
adopted 29 Jun 1999