This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Police district (Poland)

Police county, Zachodnio-Pomorskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: police |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Police flag] image by Gunnar Staack, 22 Oct 2001 See also:

Police flag

Image based on Flaga 12. German name: Pölitz.
Remains of the oldest settlements on Police's land date from late Paleoliticum - about 8000 years BC. In a region of Swidwie lake lived a tribe of Prapoliczna. On the high lands of Msciecin first colonists settled during the age of late Noelithicum, representing the culture of ceramics. Between IX and XI Century an early Middle Aged stronghold existed. Afterwards Slavs established a settlement in the region of nowadays Police's market square. First written record about it was made in 1254. In 1260 Pomeranian Prince Barnim I granted Magdeburg city laws to Police. In 1311 Prince Otto III attached Police to Szczecin, being afraid of the stronghold at Lapia river. The city lost autonomy for five next centuries.

After reclaiming autonomy in 1808 the city flourished again. A lot of public utilities were made: town hall, schools, new church, river harbor on Lapia river. Ferry conveyance was launched across Odra - Domiaza connecting Police with Swieta.

Police's development period was terminated by the Second World War. Rulers of III Reich decided to build s big synthetic gas factory. High class gas was produced or the German army. The gas was made of coal and used for instance to propel submarines. During that time in a region of Police there also existed 8 work camps and a branch of concentration camp of Stutthof. In that camps lived 30 thousand prisoners of different nationalities. 13 thousand prisoners including 9 thousand Poles did not make it till the end of the war.

The city of Police became Polish in October 1946. Before that, Russians made so-called Enclave of Police - transfer point of war prizes taken out to Russia.
The real turning point in terms of city development came in the middle 60's, when a decision to build a chemical plant near Police was made. From that point the number of settlers (now 35 thousand people) has increasing rapidly. Nowadays Police is modern, taken care of, developmental city. From 1999 there is a Starosty District of Authorities in Police.
Source Police homepage.
Gunnar Staack, 22 Oct 2001


Police ceremonial flag

[Police official flag] image by Jens Pattke, 3 Mar 2003

Image after "Wappen und Flaggen der Kreise und Kreisstädte in Pommern", by Erwin Günther.
Jens Pattke, 3 Mar 2003


Police Coat of Arms

[Police Coat of Arms] image from this webpage.